This edition adds New features that encourage reflection, highlight QSEN-related content, and familiarize students with emerging technology they will likely encounter in practice. A New informatics chapter prepares students for their important role working with emerging health information technology and managing patient data. Case-based clinical scenarios put chapter concepts in a realistic context, and content throughout integrates seamlessly with a suite of teaching and learning tools to bring the entire nursing continuum to life and equip students to excel throughout their nursing careers.
- New! Reflective Practice Leading to Personal Learning callouts cultivate a person-centered approach to nursing care.
- New! Clinical vignettes personalize the clinical application of concepts and integrate with vSim for Nursing for patient-specific reinforcement of commonly encountered scenarios and conditions.
- New! Technology Alerts familiarize students with emerging devices and software they’ll likely encounter in the clinical setting.
- New! Informatics chapter reflects the increasingly important role of data and information technology in patient care.
- New! QSEN boxes in every chapter help students ensure compliance with Quality and Safety Education for Nurses competencies.
- New! Legal Alerts help students ensure compliance with important laws and considerations related to clinical practice.
- New! Watch & Learn Videos clarify key concepts and procedures in engaging detail.
- Revised! Illustrated Concept Maps engage visual learners, simplify complex topics, and strengthen students’ clinical reasoning skills.
- Case scenarios in each chapter encourage holistic patient care and reflection on critical thinking questions.
- PICO (patient/problem, intervention, comparison, outcome) displays guide students through a structured, evidence-based approach to answering clinical questions.
- Concept Mastery Alerts improve students’ understanding of potentially confusing topics.
- Apply Your Critical Thinking features challenge students to think deeply on key concepts.
- Patient Care Plans and Skills sections outline streamline students’ transition from the classroom to clinical practice.